THC, or Tetrahydrocannabinol, is the primary component of marijuana that is responsible for the high that comes from consuming it. It is a psychoactive chemical, but also has many other properties that make it an effective pain reliever among other things.
Key THC Facts
- THC is the chemical within cannabis that is responsible for the euphoric effects of the drug.
- THC has been proven to protect the brain and stimulate cell growth making it very beneficial to brain cells.
- THC was discovered in 1964 by Dr. Raphael Mechoulam.
- THC can be consumed raw to obtain some of the therapeutic benefits without the 'high'.
- Although not legal in all states, THC has been given approval for use in certain FDA approved medications.